Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Orange Chicken and Lettuce Wraps

Im not the greatest cook, if I were, I'd be winning thousands on those Food Network Challenges, but I do enjoy tasty food. Bland food is my enemy. With my own experimenting these are the recipes I came up with for Orange Chicken and Lettuce Wraps. Sure there are many other variations and such but I did them with ingredients that are easy to find and recipes that take only about 15 minutes to make.
WHAT YOU NEED TO BUY: Mr. Yoshida's Sauce and Panda Express Orange Sauce. Everything else you probably already have.
Orange Chicken:
2 cans chunk chicken (from costco)
1 cup flour (salted and peppered)
2-3 cups of oil
1 cup Orange Sauce
Put the flour in a tupperware type container. Drain the chicken and dump into the flour. Put the lid on and shake shake shake. Open the lid just a crack and shake out the excess flour. Dump the chicken into the heated oil (medium-med high) and fry, turning when browned. Drain the oil. Turn down heat to low and pour sauce over chicken, stirring until well covered. Remove from heat. Let it sit until it cools a little, stirring once or twice.
Lettuce Wraps:
1 Head Iceberg Lettuce, cut in half
1 can chunk chicken or 1 cup of finely chopped chicken (we used our thanksgiving turkey)
1 cup finely chopped pecans
1/2 package of ramen noodles, dry, finely crushed
3/4 cup Mr. Yoshida's Sauce
(I also like to add about a tsp of vinegar and 1/4 tsp of crushed pepper flakes for a zestier flavor)

In a small nonstick pan on medium heat stir together the chicken, pecans and noodles then stir in the sauce. Let it cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently and remove from heat to cool, still stirring occasionally. Spoon into lettuce leaves. Now what I dont have is a dipping sauce, that takes ingredients I dont have in my fridge.
Serve over rice.

4 comments:

Crystal and Billy said...

Looks tasty! I love your blog header picture, by the way. Krystal, you look great!

Crystal and Billy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

mmm, ya me diĆ³ hambre!... I'll try to do it next time I had to cook, thanks for the recipe ...:)

Dan, Betsy and Joe said...

still too much work!