Monday, December 14, 2009

tortillas

Yesterday I made tortillas. I had Nick watch the kids while I made them, but he wasnt feeling well.... Elias ended up licking up flour off the kitchen floor. But- the tortillas got made.

Julian took this picture of the dough. After cutting the shortening into the flour and salt, then adding in the rest of the flour and the water the dough gets kneaded and I roll it into balls.
Then I cheat and use a heated tortilla press to press the balls into uncooked tortillas. Oh and the counters are not dirty, theyre covered in flour and pieces of tortilla that have broken apart.
These are the uncooked tortillas. Good tortillas bubble up. Really good tortillas balloon up!
And while I was making tortillas Elias slipped on the kitchen floor and split his upper lip on the tile. No, he didnt get knocked out, I just couldnt get a picture of it until he fell asleep. But the tortillas taste great! He found out today when he started eating a half eaten one Isaiah had left on the living room floor....
Sorry I cannot publish my recipe, its a family secret but if I know you (and trust you wont start your own torilla business! heehee hee!) I'll send you the recipe to your facebook inbox if youre interested.

6 comments:

hillari said...

I would love the recipe! I have one of those heated tortilla presses too, and I love it.

Anonymous said...

mm Tortillas, .. ya me diĆ³ hambre... Saludos..

Charlene said...

I promise to keep the family secret if you share the recipe with me ;) Where did you get the heated tortilla press?

Justin+Becca+Emily said...

I bet you can't do that pressing tortillas by hand! Mmmm I miss Mom.

Anonymous said...

I would love the recipe. They are the best!

Andrew, Amy, Evelyn& Owen said...

I am totally impressed Krystal! I would promise to keep your secret if you shared the recipe too! I'd also give you credit whenever I made them! :) I don't have facebook, but if you don't mind emailing me it's amyjbang@yahoo.com.