Monday, December 1, 2008

Long Drive

For Thanksgiving we drove to Oregon. We drove up through Las Vegas, St. George, Orem (where we stopped to get free donuts from my sister Rebecca who works at Krispy Kreme), then through downtown Salt Lake (Nick had never been there before), then up through Boise to pick up my sister Amanda before making it to our destination, McMinnville, Oregon. We arrived about three in the morning on Sunday and on Monday morning Nick flew back to Phoenix to work. On Monday my sisters, a cousin, my mom and I went to see Twilight. On Wednesday my mom, Liss, Sarah and my kids and I went to the Salem Center Mall. We did some shopping (window mostly), the kids got to see Santa, we bought pretzels and white chocolate covered marshmallows for the kids, and we bought a Honeybaked Ham. On Wednesday night my sisters and I prepared all the Thanksgiving food, minus the green salad and the stovetop stuffing. I made the green bean casserole, candied yams, and four layer chocolate mud pie. Sarah made a couple banana creme pies and she was supposed to do the potatoes but forgot to. Mom prepped the turkey. On Thursday morning my mom and dad took all the kids to the zoo (free day) while I picked up Nick at the airport. When we got back to the house the older kids who had sayed home had cleaned house and set up. We baked the beans and yams and prepped the salad and made last minute smashed potatoes (thanks Sarah) and Amanda's famous runny gravy. It turned out very well and we had a great time. My kids, even with all the food available to them, only ate ham. Each one of the kids ate three helpings of ham, and left the rest of the food untouched. On Friday night my mom and dad and Nick and I went out to see Four Christmases. It was pretty funny, and we had a lot of fun without the kids. We left on Saturday at 2:30pm and I drove 20 of the 24 hours and we arrived in Phoenix Sunday at 3pm. The total trip going to Oregon, $150. The return through California cost us $86!! Hurray for the price of gas. I can live with a recession if it means $1.70 gas!!


Before and after. I hadn't had a haircut in three and a half years. I had the hair saved in a pony tail so I can send it to Locks of Love.


5 comments:

Miss Marjie said...

Cute new hairdo! Dramatic chop, but it looks great. :D And of course, super cute kids.

Amy O'Neill said...

Cute hair!! Sounds like you had a nice trip. I am loving the cheap gas too, it's like getting a pay raise! :)

Charlene said...

I love your new haircut. It sounds like you guys had a great trip! I'm also loving the price of gas right now.

hillari said...

I can't wait to see your haircut in person--it looks really cute! So did Nick fly to Phoenix and then back up to Oregon? How was the driving, were the kids okay? I was surprised how good my kids did when we drove up to Washington in October. Anyway, sounds like you had a really fun trip!

Phil and Stacie said...

I'm so impressed you're brave enough to drive all over the country with your kids! And I love your new haircut--I bet if feels great to have all that weight off! I'm still laughing about the pony skeleton in the closet comment (on my blog). I can just see myself forgetting something like that....